Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Favourite Books From My Childhood

My first memories of reading were when I was at school. The school used a series called Janet and John to teach us to read. Very quickly we progressed to other books including the popular Ladybird books.

At home we had beautifully illustrated copies of the European fairy tales of Hans Anderson and the Grimm brothers. I was certainly one of Enid Blyton's biggest fans. To be given a collection of her books at the start of the summer holidays was a treat. My favourite series by her were Mallory Towers, The Naughtiest Girl and The Famous Five. My father had a collection of Just William books, by Richmal Compton, which I read many times over. Another favourite school boy hero was Jennings.

Most of the books I read came from our local library. A number of North American authors were popular such as L M Alcott who wrote Little Women, Susan Coolidge the author of What Katy Did and Lucy Montgomery, the Canadian writer of Anne of Green Gables.

As I grew older career books became a fascination for me. The Bodley Head series which included Air Hostess Ann, June Grey Fashion Student and Valerie Fashion Model and the Sue Barton nursing series gave me an insight into independence and life after school.

Agatha Christie's detective books were ingenious murder mysteries which never failed to intrigue me.

Finally I embarked on reading classics. Wind in the Willows with its quirky animal characters and Alice in Wonderland a story about a fantasy world. I loved the Yorkshire based Secret Garden and the haunting story of Jane Eyre. Over time I read all the Jane Austen and Bronte sisters' romantic novels.

Life without books as a child would certainly have been much less colourful, a simple pleasure which gave me immeasurable satisfaction.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment